Name: Sylvari names as well as the names of locations they've settled are generally inspired or derived from Celtic (Irish, Gaelic and Welsh) names. Sylvari do not awaken with surnames. They are all created by the same Pale Mother and are all members of the same "family". It is not unheard of for a Sylvari to take on a surname though. Sylvari are not given their names by the Pale tree or other Sylvari, they simply 'know' their name upon awakening. Sylvari given wyld hunts are called wyld hunt Valiants, or simply Valiants. it is not uncommon for such Sylvari to use the title Valiant before their given name.
Age: The firstborn Sylvari awoke in 1302 AE. Two years later in 1304 AE the secondborn Sylvari awoke. After the secondborn Sylvari continued to sprout at an exponential rate. With this in mind the maximum age for a Sylvari character is 26 years. Due to the races recent appearance, the longevity of Sylvari is unknown.
Height: Sylvari have a similar outwards appearance to humans (disregarding that they're plants) but are about a head shorter then them. 6' feet tall at the tallest, 4' feet tall at the shortest.
Personality: As a race Sylvari are usually honest, curious and direct, taking most things at face value. This naivety and lack of understanding is best exemplified by the race's acceptance of and fascination with death. Something other races may find disturbing. They possess a strong sense of honor and nobility.Their morality and ethics are based on the teachings of Ventari:
- I. Live life well and fully, and waste nothing.
- II. Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes for stronger roots.
- III. The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.
- IV. All things have a right to grow. The blossom is brother to the weed.
- V. Never leave a wrong to ripen into evil or sorrow.
- VI. Act with wisdom, but act.
- VII. From the smallest blade of grass to the largest mountain, where life goes-so, too, should you.
they follow these seven tenants with an almost religious reverence.
Firstborn: The firstborn are the twelve oldest Sylvari, who emerged from the pale tree in 1302. They are respected and revered among their race for their age, wisdom and experience. Of the twelve firstborn four are luminaries who act as governors for the Sylvari, one from each cycle.
- Luminary of dawn: Aife - Her skill with words is only equaled by her keen aim with a bow. She is a diplomat and has traveled to many places including each of the capital cities of Tyria.
- Luminary of Dusk: Kahedins - A Sylvari "shaper" who works on building the grove. Tends to young Sylvari and helps them understand what they have seen in their dream.
- Luminary of Night: Malomedies - An astronomer who brought mathematics to his race. He was the first Sylvari to come in contact with the Asura, and suffered experimentation at their hands before they realized he was sentient.
- Luminary of Noon: Niamh - Her wyld hunt was to establish the Grove's defenses. She founded the wardens to serve this purpose.
Pale Mother: The mother of all Sylvari, the Pale tree is revered to the point of godhood. A benevolent caretaker, she tends to and protects the Sylvari's dream from the corruption of Modremoth. Sylvari can speak with her avatar in the Omphalos chamber.
Lovers: Romance is practiced among the Sylvari, disregarding gender between those involved. To a Sylvari, love is spiritual and eternal, regardless of physical form and contact, and sexuality is simply a natural part of life. So long as it is entered into with good will and joy, the gender doesn't make a difference. All Sylvari are pansexual.
Dream: The Dream of dreams or simply referred to as the dream is the state of consciousness Sylvari experience before awakening into the world. Their minds are cultivated with visions of the outside world from past and present Sylvari as their bodies develop inside Sylvari pods. The dream itself is said to be made of aether and memories.
Wyld Hunt:.The Wyld Hunt is a highly important personal quest for the Sylvari. Only a small percentage receive a calling to partake in the Wyld Hunt, which is unique to each Sylvari. The first hints of the Wyld Hunt may appear in the Dream of Dreams prior to their awakening, but few would recognize these hints. It is something that they are compelled to do by a "strange call in their souls." Most Sylvari take their Wyld Hunt so seriously that they would die in service to this quest. Wyld Hunts are described by Sylvari as being like an itching feeling at the back of the neck that you cannot scratch until fulfilling the Wyld Hunt.